Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dear Pluggers: I still hate you.

This Sunday afternoon, while emerging from an incredibly debilitating hangover, I had the misfortune of observing the following travesty on the back page of the comics section:



W.T.F.? Not only is there the regular amount of Plugger-idiocy ("Pluggers cannot comprehend how to use those new-fangled mouse-trappers everyone's been talking about, and instead are all crazy cat ladies!"), but there is something really awkward about the syntax. Did our friendly idea-submitter, Jim Stepleton, write this himself and was Gary Brookins just too goddamn lazy to edit it into something resembling coherence? Or is Brookins himself to blame for the fact that the caption seems to be missing a comma and is awkwardly long-winded? As my friend pointed out through my raging alcohol- and Plugger-induced headache, it could have just as easily said, "A Plugger Mousetrap," and no one would've been the wiser. It would have still been stupid, sure (this IS Pluggers we're talking about), but at least I wouldn't have had to stare at it, trying to figure out what's wrong with the wording. And also, OH MY GOD WHY IS THAT CAT SO LARGE AND SINISTER?! Pluggers should only be allowed to feature anthropomorphized animals who work blue-collar jobs and keep their jewelry in egg cartons, not regular, domesticated animals that inexplicably remind me of Richard Nixon and are about to commit rodent genocide! You know I love to hate you, Pluggers, but sometimes I just cannot comprehend how you could possibly be a worse comic, and then you go and do something like this.

Why has god forsaken all of us comics readers?


PS- If there are mousetraps out there that are actually cheese-powered mechanical contraptions of some sort, sign me up because I am ALL ABOUT the alternative fuel sources.

2 comments:

  1. Wow it took me like, 5 minutes to get that comic. Why was it so confusing?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps this is a special edition Pluggers that's only supposed to make sense to people who are not native speakers of English. Or maybe Pluggers is just really, really bad. All the time.

    ReplyDelete