Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's too late for me, but maybe you can save yourselves

Hey, does not trying to find a job for a couple more years sounds good?(1) Have you always enjoyed school?(2) Do people tell you that you're "smart"?(3) Do you qualify for massive federal loans?(4) If you answered yes to any of these questions, you're a prime target for these schemers:



I will say that I resent the idea that "linguistics" as an entire discipline is useless and obscure. My BA in it that I'm not using comes in handy occasionally while watching Jeopardy or during drunken debates over language families or etymologies (I'm in grad school, okay? Even our drunken debates are ridiculous.). But with an MA, most of the coursework for a PhD, and a bunch of student loan and credit card debt under my belt, I am ready to be even more over-qualified for all the jobs I won't be getting in the future! (Can you tell I'm over this a little bit?) But anyway, the video is funny. That is all.


(1) Haha! You will be scrounging for money the whole time and even if you have an assistantship, will probably have to scramble for a job every summer to fill in the gaps! Don't work too much, though, because then you won't qualify for food stamps anymore.
(2) This feeling will not last much longer!
(3) You do not actually have to be smart to go to grad school, just gullible enough to think it's a good idea and desperate enough to fulfill all the requirements.
(4) I don't think you even have to prove you are breathing to get this money! But it will never be the right amount at the right time or you will have to fill out another form or check with the grad college that tells you to go back to financial aid but they can't do anything until you go to the library to pay off your overdue charges but then they tell you that the bursar takes care of that now and the bursar says there's a problem with the registrar's office who tell you to go back to your department and then it takes 3-5 business days to process disbursement and then you can check with your bank to see if it has been deposited, which it probably hasn't yet!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Linguistics is so not useless! The best paid jobs I've ever had I got because I have BA in linguistics. (Text to speech & voice recognition systems)

    ReplyDelete