Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Please Give Money to My Improv Theater


Oh hey guys, it's time for me to inundate my 7 friends fans with a coordinated social media fundraising onslaught. It's Improvathon Season, motherfuckers! Here is a thing I wrote with real feelings about why you should consider giving money to HUGE Theater, more specifically, to one of my Improvathon groups because of potential bragging rights:

As you are probably aware, I’ve gotten really into improvising the last couple of years. It is great! I am very good at making things up and I have occasionally been paid to perform. This is all due to a wonderful little place called HUGE Theater in Minneapolis. HUGE is an artist-run theater and a non-profit. I take classes, volunteer, and perform there regularly. It’s like a home away from home, and you all know how much I hate putting on real pants and leaving my actual home, so this is special.

Here are some specific reasons why I love this place:

  • I have made so many friends! I don’t even like people that much (besides you guys, obvs), but in my classes at HUGE and just hanging around the theater, I’ve met so many people who are also weird and creative and want to do stupid projects with me. Who knew I could make new friends?
  • Through taking classes and forming groups and being cast in or asked to be part of shows, I’m now just that many steps closer to stardom. I may not have my own sitcom yet, but getting stage time, performing, and making people laugh--people who PAID to see the show--is an amazing feeling. HUGE has made my comedy dreams (begin to) come true.
  • It’s a good place. The people who run it are kind and generous and amazing performers and mentors. The teachers are excellent. The shows are outrageously good. HUGE is a supportive environment, it’s not a boy’s club or a place just out to make money like a lot of comedy venues. HUGE does what it does for the love of the art of unscripted live theater. That is a priceless gift to give to the Twin Cities, but it is not free to produce!

THUS: HUGE’s biggest fundraiser is each year’s Improvathon, 28 straight hours of improv to support the theater and its mission. It’s coming up next week, November 12-13. I have two groups raising money and performing. I would be eternally grateful if you would support one or both of them by donating to the GiveMN site. All money goes to HUGE. Note: Whenever you actually give, your donation will be held until November 13th, GiveMN’s Give to the Max Day. Unfortunately, we won’t know which groups are leading in donations until then (there are possible prizes and at least bragging rights at stake here).

Of course if you’re in town, you are more than welcome to come see us perform. Shows start at 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday the 12th and go until 11:59 p.m. on the 13th. You can come and donate to the group(s) of your choice at the door.

Please donate to one of my groups here:

Pigmeat: The Improvised Twilight Zone performing at 11:00 a.m. on the 13th

AND/OR

Snack Time performing at 9:00 p.m. on the 13th

Anything you may be able to give would be incredibly well-appreciated. This is a thing that I love at a place that I love and you know I wouldn’t ask if it didn’t mean a lot to me, because there are few things more awkward for me than asking for money and expressing genuine emotions. So thank you in advance, also you are looking really pretty/handsome today, did I tell you that?

No comments:

Post a Comment