Monday, March 03, 2008

Is it the depression, or am I just a bitch?

Because sometimes it's hard to tell, to separate my own natural anti-social tendencies from a chemical imbalance. I try to make myself interact with other people sometimes even when I don't feel like it, because I usually eventually enjoy myself. Especially if there's alcohol involved. (But lets gloss over that issue for the time being.) It's so bizarre how one minute I can be fine, and the next totally agitated. (Obviously, I realize this happens to non-depressed people too to varying degrees.) And it can be difficult to say whether I'm actually upset about something, or if the dysfunctional part of my brain is like, "THIS IS A BIG DEAL," when it really shouldn't be. I really try not to take it out on other people, but I still worry about being thought of as moody and unpleasant. Because I don't really like very many people, and it would do me well to not alienate the few I do. So... perhaps what I'm saying is that I AM kind of a bitch, and also mentally ill. Perfect combination.

So sorry to get all introspective, my dear five or six (possible) readers, but all I could think to blog about today is what a foul mood I find myself in. That whole "Monday morning" thing sure isn't helping. I'll try and keep the depression blogging to a minimum in the future. It's kind of, like, DEPRESSING.

Pieter Bruegel the Elder. The Misanthrope.
I know, WTF, right? But as Veronica Mars* says near the beginning of season 2:
"I'm remembering why I'm a misanthrope."



NOTE: People who are my ex-boyfriend are not invited to comment on this post.

ALSO: Al Franken/caucus blogging coming soon. Get excited!




*Yeah, I'm quoting Veronica Mars. Deal.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm fairly certain I'm not chemically imbalanced at the moment, but my roommates can testify to my similar misanthropic behavior. So what I'm saying is that I can relate. Especially this fine Monday morning when my roommate woke me up about an hour before I had to get up. It's not the best way to start the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think work is just depressing. Or, maybe we're friends because we're both moody and introspective.

    Yeah, it makes sense that we're friends. I can see that.

    ReplyDelete