Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Energy Drink Review: M-150

This is what it looks like. May be actual can size, depending on the size of your screen.
Guys, remember that time I had that weird Thai energy drink created by some weird Thai rock star? Yeah, that was pretty cool. Well, the research was cooler than the drink. But I was wandering through the "ethnic foods" aisle at my local Rainbow grocery store and saw next to the Carabao energy drinks the M-150. According to M-150's parent company, Osotspa, M-150 is pretty much the most popular energy drink in Thailand. They claim that "It holds 60% of the energy drinks market and is distributed in more than 95% of retail outlets throughout Thailand." And also, apparently it's been around since 1970 and the company started out marketing pharmaceuticals to dysentery-ed soldiers and were granted some royal titles or something and whoa. I still don't know what "M-150" is supposed to stand for. But basically I'm going to have a super-authentic Thai beverage drinking experience right now.

I had a pretty long day yesterday what with an early morning JOB INTERVIEW and then after working at my regular job ROCKING THE FUCK OUT OF the student showcase for my beginning improv class and then getting drunk and falling asleep on my couch, so I'm a bit tired. HAHAHA, I'm always tired, but I wanted to tell you guys about my bizarrely busy Tuesday. Anyway, I'm tired, let's try this shit.

FLAVOR: The sheriff's badge on the can has the words "devotion, courage, sacrifice" written on it, so I'm going to assume that's a description of the flavor. It's pretty sweet, but with kind of a classic citrus-y Red Bull-type edge. It would be a lot less syrupy if it was more carbonated, but who am I to argue with 60% of Thai energy drink consumers about how M-150 should taste? It's not too bad, but I wouldn't want to drink more than this 8.4 ounce can, probably. Colder would probably be better, but it sat out of the fridge and in my purse for about 45 minutes before I got to it, so what can I do, people? There is no fridge here in the lobby, stop being so demanding!
Trying not to be this guy. But at a desk, not in a car.
EFFECTIVENESS: I've had most of it now, and I do think there's been a bit of a pick-me-up effect, though that may be in part due to whatever chemicals make it so damn sweet. I can't say that I'm feeling more inclined to devotion, courage, or sacrifice, but slightly less inclined to fall asleep at my desk could probably be classified as a step in the right direction. Okay, I've finished it, and I'm definitely more alert than when I started drinking, but it's just too small an amount to sustain me for long.

OVERALL: Whatever, it's weird and foreign and cheap and not totally gross or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment